The Grain LNG terminal
- 1,000,000m3 tank space
- 15mtpa (equivalent 20% UK gas demand)
- 2 cryogenic lines, 2 jetties (QMax capable)
- Simultaneous berthing capabilities
- Direct connection to Europe’s deepest, most liquid and liberalised gas market - UK’s NBP
- Over 30 years’ experience in the LNG industry and best in class safety record
- Highly responsive and adaptable to customers’ needs
- Independent terminal operator giving equitable customer service
Grain LNG is of strategic national importance to UK energy infrastructure and security of supply. We are the largest terminal in Europe and eighth largest in the world by tank capacity with a site that spans over 600 acres in total.
National Grid Grain LNG aims to be the foremost LNG importation terminal in the world, with a first-class team delivering high performance for our customers, communities and National Grid, through unparalleled safety, reliability and efficiency.
Each larger than the Royal Albert Hall - and with four times the capacity of each of the original LNG storage tanks at Grain - they have quadrupled the LNG handling capacity at the site. Each tank has a diameter of 92.4m and is 50m high. They are constructed on piles 600mm in diameter, with 1,560 piles per tank to a depth of 24m to support a concrete mass of 72,000 tonnes per tank. During this significant construction activity, National Grid and contractors CB&I have celebrated two major safety milestones, each with one million man-hours worked with no lost-time injury.
Grain LNG is committed to protecting the environment for future generations and supporting their energy needs, through being an innovative, socially responsible business.